At the end of last year I tried blackberries for the very first time and I was in LOVE. They literally taste like sweets to me and made a nice change to all the other berries I ate more regularly. After my discovery I did some research to see if they were as good for me as I’d heard people say they were in the past, and they are! So here are 5 reasons why you should start eating blackberries:
- They contain high levels of insoluble and soluble fibre. 100g of blackberries contains 14% of your recommended daily allowance (RDA) of fibre – this is a lot! It is critical for your health to have high levels of fibre every day as insoluble fibre will help keep your digestive track clear and regulate your bowels and soluble fibre can help to keep a good balance of bacteria in your gut.
- Blackberries are full of antioxidants. As silly as it might sound, having a diet high in antioxidants may actually help you to avoid bad hangovers – so before a night out, why not have 100g of blackberries and you might actually be able to get out and about the next day.
- They enhance your memory. A study conducted in 2009 found that rats who ate blackberries had improved memory and motor function, so best to stock up on them during exam time.
- Immunity boosting. Especially at the moment, with snow appearing around the country, it is getting harder and harder to ward off everyones germs. Blackberries are full of essential vitamins and minerals, particular Vitamin C (100g contains 35% of your RDA). Vitamin C, although it cannot prevent you from developing a cold, it has been shown to reduce the duration of one when you get sick. So you can make sure you reach your goal for a daily dose of Vitamin C by eating lots of blackberries.
- Good for weight loss. A lot of people worry about eating fruit when they are trying to lose weight because they are high in sugar (although as long as your not eating ridiculous amounts, this is fine because natural sugars are processed with greater ease by the body!). Blackberries are a low calorie, low sugar fruit – so if you are trying to watch your sugar intake and calorie intake, these are the perfect fruit to snack on.
All in all, blackberries are delicious and why not eat a fruit that is delicious and also offers you a range of health benefits!