A lot of people may see this and think ‘Quorn… gross’. However, I guarantee that this is delicious. I used to be Pescatarian (involuntarily as I was allergic to all animal protein besides fish and egg whites until I was 8), so Quorn was a huge part of my diet as it’s a great way to get a healthy dose of protein. Unfortunately for vegans, not all Quorn products are suitable for your diet as a lot contain egg whites. Either way I would say for those non-vegans out there, it is definitely worth a go, you can learn to love it as a nice alternative from meat now and again.
This dish is also very simple to make and should only take about 20-25 minutes including both prep and cooking. It is a relatively low fat dish and as Quorn is lower calorie than chicken… you can have even more of it.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 350g Quorn chicken
- 1 onion
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Large green pepper (or any colour of your choice!)
- 50g frozen peas
- 1/2 jar of Sainsbury’s Red Thai curry paste (this one is dairy free)
- Half a cup of coconut milk
- 57g Sainsburys basmati white rice (uncooked)
- First cut up your onion and pepper and put aside.
- Then fry the onion in the coconut oil until the onion goes slightly see-through and then add in the Quorn chicken.
- Fry for about 5 minutes and add in the peas. Allow them to defrost in the pan.
- Then start to cook your rice according to the instructions on the packet.
- Add in the curry paste to your dish along with the coconut milk and fry for a further few minutes.
- When it looks like the ingredients are cooked (which they should be by now), add in the pepper – if you prefer your pepper to be soft you can add it in earlier, or leave it to cook for longer. However I prefer it to be a bit crunchier so I will only fry it with the rest of the ingredients for a few minutes at most.
- Both your curry and your rice should then be done! Enjoy!
All in all this meal is very cheap to make and I normally save one portion for the next day. Hope you like it and if you do and you make it then let me know on instagram by tagging us and using the #whygowithout hashtag.