It’s that time of year again… the time of year baking-lovers and Mary Berry fan girls like me live for… The Great British Bake Off is back. Every year I’ve said that I want to bake something along with the show every week, and every year I’ve never done it. This year I decided it was time!
Last week I started by trying to make a vegan Madiera cake. Considering I’d never tried this before and was kind of winging it with
the recipe, I was happy with how it turned out. However, the consistency wasn’t quite right. It turned out more like a dense malt-loaf texture than a fluffy Madiera cake and the crack on the cake wasn’t quite up to Mary’s standards. When I’ve perfected the recipe I will share it but for now it will remain a secret!
This week however I will share with you my mum and I’s tried and tested biscotti recipe. We like to call them ‘Nev’s Biscotti’ after a very special friend. They really are delicious and are slightly healthier than the shop bought alternatives and standard recipes due to their lack of butter, refined sugar and flour with higher protein content. Here it is!
Almond and cranberry biscotti
- 140g blanched almonds
- 125g quinoa flour
- 100g oatbran
- 80g coconut sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 50g dried cranberries
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bake the almonds on the oven on 180C fan for ten minutes. Remove and cool and turn the oven down to 150C. When the almond are cool chop into pieces.
- Beat the eggs, vanilla, almond extract and set aside.
- In another bowl combine to flour, oatbran, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the egg mixture and beat to form a sticky dough.
- Add the cranberries and almond pieces and fold in using a spoon.
- On a baking tray lined with
- A silicone sheet pour the mixture to form two long sausage shapes about 30cms long, 8cms wide and bake for 30-40 mins or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Removed from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes then cut into slices of about 1.5/2cms wide and place back on their sides and into the oven for a further 5-7 minutes each side.
- Leave to cool and enjoy.
If you do make them be sure to let us know by tagging us on instagram/twitter/facebook as we would love to see!